Monday, March 16, 2009

Tasty Bite: Ipoh - Superb Asian Delivery Finally?

One of the few negative aspects of living in Adams Morgan/Woodley/Dupont Circle is the lack of a reliable and worthy Asian delivery option.

Ipoh Asian Cuisine opened in the last few months in Woodley Park, and it promises to end our gastro curse. It's one of those nondescript Pan Asian restaurants that cooks everything from pad thai to lo mein to sushi. Normally, I would avoid such a place. The range of cuisines, while convenient, means the kitchen doesn't turn out anything memorable (see Banana Leaf in Dupont). But all these other offerings are mere distractions from the star attraction: Malaysian food. Apparently Ipoh is a city in Malaysia, and if there is one Maylaysian dish that can draw me in, it is the heaven sent, Roti Canai!

Roti Canai is a flakey, slightly greasy pancake, usually accompanied by a small side of chicken curry liquid for dripping. You just rip the roti apart, dip the buttery crispy chunks in the mildly spicy chicken curry sauce, and chomp away. It's a fantastic appetizer or light meal, and I'm happy to report that Ipoh's version is excellent. I'll admit that I'm no expert on Maylasian food, but Ipoh's rendition is the best that I've ever had. And best of all, they offer free delivery.

I haven't tried any of their other dishes, but I will definitely be rushing back, so keep an eye out for a review in the future.

Rating: n/a
Recommended: Roti Canai


Ipoh Asian Cuisine
2625 Connecticut Avenue NW, 2nd FL
Washington, DC 20008
(202) 332-3636

No comments:

Post a Comment